Enjoy the highest rates of take home pay legally allowable under a PAYE system.
Umbrella companies: made for contractors
The following is an introduction to umbrella companies. If you'd like, you can jump ahead to find out specifically about the Cascade Umbrella Company Service.
As a contractor or freelancer, you may wish to avoid the hassle of invoicing and chasing invoices. And you may like to claim some tax benefit without having to operate your own limited company.
About Umbrella Companies
An umbrella company does all of the above for you. And it usually pays you promptly.
- You become an employee of the company.
- You're paid a combination of salary, expenses and pensions.
- You don't become a director or shareholder of the umbrella company.
- All your income is paid to you via Schedule E.
- It deals with all administration and taxation issues so that you can focus on what's important to you.
- Starting with your contract, the umbrella company makes sure all legal issues have been covered and all your interests are met.
- It manages the relationship with your agency or client, collecting timesheets, processing invoices and collecting money owed.
- It advises you as to which expenses you can and cannot claim – this enables you to enjoy the highest rates of take home pay legally allowable under a PAYE system.
Note: you must provide receipts with all expense claims.
- It provides you with all the insurance you need in today's contacting environment (i.e. public liability and professional indemnity insurance). So, in the event of some calamity, both you and the agency will be covered.
The only difference between umbrella companies is the fee they charge and the service they offer you. If one tells you that its expense allowance is better than another's, don't believe them; they're not telling the truth.
- Hidden costs: Some umbrella companies hide costs from their contractors by simply not informing the contractor of the full range of costs that exist.
- Hidden clauses: Some umbrella companies hold contractors bound to them by inserting disguised 'early leaving penalties' in their employment contracts. Some also exploit the expenses system, allowing their contractors to claim expenses that are blatantly not 'business related', thereby exposing them and the contractor to penalties and fines from HMRC.
- Reckless expense claiming: When tendering for business, some umbrella companies will quote any level of expenses to win you as their client.
- Delayed payment: Some umbrella companies are slow to pay you; this could be a sign of liquidity problems.
Our Umbrella Company Service:
- Does not hide costs from its contractors
- Does not have hidden clauses in its employment contracts
- Does not encourage the exploitation of its expenses dispensation
- Does not withhold funds from its member contractors
Cascade's PAYE Umbrella Service
This is for first-time contractors wanting a quick and easy solution. It's especially effective if you incur high business expenses.
For more information please contact Cascade.
You will receive prompt payment: a weekly or monthly salary depending on agency payment terms.
You can also get tax-free expenses as long as they are fully receipted and allowable, and comprehensive contractor insurance (public liability & professional indemnity).
- Manuals and textbooks
- Professional subscriptions
Keep and submit copies of receipts to support expenses claims.
And make sure receipts show date, amount, supplier/shop name – credit card statements are not sufficient.
See how much better off you could be under the Cascade Umbrella.
Frequently Asked Questions about our PAYE Umbrella Company service
You should first contact one of our consultants. They will help you arrange a face-to-face meeting to discuss your personal situation and needs. Registering is free. Once we have taken copies of your passport and proof of address we can have you fully set up within 24-48hrs.
You can only claim expenses that are wholly and exclusively incurred for business purposes. For instance, if you travel to the same workplace everyday, you cannot claim the cost of that travel. However, if you then travel from that regular place of work to other sites, then that travel is deductible.
Yes. We are more than happy to provide any references on request and provide this as part of our umbrella service at no extra charge.
Find out more about our PAYE Umbrella Company service. Contact Cascade today